Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ride and type, or else!

How many times have you wanted to take 24 hours, and consider that length of time your morning??  I had one of those days on Thursday as I had to get a 75 minute ride in at lunch, which was made up of a series of drills and short 'high cadence' spins.

My morning was rough, work wise, and I ended up sitting in my bike shorts and shoes while praying my conference call would end.  I kept getting 'pinged' to talk about work things and that was eating into my ride time.  I hate it when that happens, but priorities are priorities.

Working at home is both a curse and a benefit.  Overall, you save money and time - two things we all wish we had more of, but your time drifts away from a standard workday and cruises into the evenings, and sometimes beyond.  The motto is 'quality versus quantity', however, but naturally, expectations are higher than you can deliver in an 8 hour day.  So, when I have the chance to get a run or ride in at lunch, I take it without feeling guilty, knowing I have either already put in buckets of 'quality', or will have more to do.

The drills on the Computrainer were great - but tough.  A few one leg drills at 140 watts - actually, they were supposed to be at 120 watts but I read the sheet wrong.  My bad....and I guess that is why I had muscle soreness after the ride in and around my calves and shins.  I was interrupted a few times while riding so the 75 minute ride went way beyond that.  I actually had to start a conference call / meeting at 1:00 and continue on the CT for 25 minutes.  Those who say the purpose of an aerobar is to make you faster or change you gears have never used them as laptop support!  They also held my phone, which was on speaker so I could hear the call.  At least I wasn't watching TV!!

There is one thing I did feel guilty about, however....I missed my swim Thursday night.  I was actually really really tired and fell asleep after supper while relaxing with one of the girls.  When I woke up, it was too late to get to the pool, unfortunately.  I was a little miffed, but obviously my body was going through some adjustments and needed to catch up.  This, from a guy who NEVER naps.

As we do every weekend, we take off skiing with the family to Tremblant in the province of Quebec.  This place is like a second home to me, having spent 11-12 years teaching and coaching skiing there and through the formative university and post bachelor's years.  Wow, what a place when you are 19 years old and there every weekend.  In your prime, you own this place!!

Instead of staying out all night like I used to do, I am home at a reasonable hour, if I go out at all, because I have a whack load more responsibility now.  Dogs need to be walked (no fenced yard there!) and kids need to be up an at 'em early.  Didn't stop me from going to La Forge Saturday night for a few beers with a buddy, though.  First time I've done that this year and it followed a fantastic run I had earlier in the day.  All winter, I have been skiing until around 1pm or so and then running home.  It's a hilly 10km run and depending on the day and the snow cover on the ground, I make it back in 55 to 60 minutes.  You lose a lot of power climbing on slippery / snowy roads.  But I think it helps build muscle, and one thing I know for sure, it does build character.  I've been running home in any weather condition and really enjoy it.  The pic to the left is my view at lunch on Saturday from the mountain top restaurant.

Bike - 75 min
Run - 10km
Ski - 2 x 1/2 days


  1. Sweet Ride! I love your bike! ;)

  2. Thanks John! It's a 2008 Kuota Kalibur and seems to do ok. It's rider could always use more time on it, like anything else, though!!

  3. Great post! It sounds like something I could have written! Working from home myself, I know exactly what you mean about it being both a curse and a benefit. I struggle with the same issues. I've done a conference call on the bike as well. Aero bars rule!

    I am pretty flexible with my hours and basically changed my work hours from 7 to 3 instead of 9 to 5. That way I can get my workouts in before dinner. Still tough when someone calls at 3:30 though knowing I have put my hours in already.