Thursday, September 30, 2010

You know exactly what I'm talking about. Don't lie.

When your brain says 'GO' and you body says 'huh?'

You know exactly what I'm talking about.  Don't lie.  And if you say you don't, I won't believe you.

Last night was my turn for a brain and body disagreement and thankfully for me, it didn't figure out what was going on until 2 miles into the run.

It was a workday from Hell.  You know exactly what I'm talking about.  Don't lie.  Not only did I have a ton of stuff to get through, there were a few surprises in there I hadn't anticipated and actually had no interest in doing.  As I was just 'trying to get it done', the time pressure was starting to get to me.  I had a planned run last night - for an hour - and given I was sitting ALL day, I wanted to get it in while the kids were skating (6-7 pm).

At 6:15, I gave in to my mental urge to get out a run but it was at this time I think my body was still in office chair mode.  I started with a 5min/km (8min/mile)pace, which is fast for me, and slowly felt my workday worries slip away.

It wasn't long, however, where I started having evil thoughts about my condition, the fact I haven't really run since Muskoka 70.3 (Sep 12), and questioning if I have been eating enough of the right foods these last 3 weeks.  My energy was tapped at the 5km mark and I think I was in shock.  Not the medical kind, the mental kind.  Is this what happens if you don't exercise for a couple weeks?  Did I really lose endurance / muscle / energy?

It wasn't until the 7km mark (~5miles) that I started to loosen up in both mind and body.  I started to feel positive, like I was actually accomplishing something.  The big lesson I'm taking away is that consistency works.  Jeez, everyone knows that - it's no revelation.  So I've got to stay active during this offseason and keep building the base.  I ended up running 11 km in the 59 minutes out.

I'm excited for a planned ride this weekend, although it is supposed to be 5 degrees C Sat morning (41F).  We'll be bundled up and heading into the Gatineau Hills.  Should be a good time.

I also booked a swim clinic in November where we'll do under / over water video analysis and continue to refine / improve our swim technique.  Looking forward to the results.

It's another workday from Hell and I've got too much to do and won't get 'out there' tonight.  Not to mention it has been raining for 22 straight hours and there is no end in sight.

Here is the only picture I have of Brucie racing.  #1 dog, red jacket, far right.  Found it on the web by chance.  He finished 2nd in this race, taking some $$ back to his owners and kennel manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment