Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Family Ironman Training

I have no idea why it never crossed my mind before yesterday, but how many of you train with your children?  Under 10 years old?  I never gave it a second thought until the conditions were such that if I wanted to get my 60 minutes of running in last night, my (newly turned) 8 year old daughter, Jessica, had to come with me.  As her first triathlon will be in June, she was only too happy to ride alongside my footsteps and was frankly very proud of herself for playing a role in my training.  Seriously, I was elated I had a partner out there and the fact she was so keen to count the kilometers with me, was another proud fatherly moment.

Here's an example of a great team:  The Iron Family  Props to Doru and Miha for getting their (even younger) children already started in the sport of Triathlon.

On the training front, I have 6 weeks to go until my first marathon and I know 'it's gonna hurt'.  My long run is up to 30km and Saturday's distance is planned out at 35.  This isn't speedwork, obviously, but I don't want to be running as slow as I did on Sunday (40 mph wind gusts).  The weather gods owe me some nice conditions!!

I have 2 sixty minute 'easy' rides and a 45 min negative split run planned before the long run on Saturday, and one swim left for the week.  Speaking of swimming, my 1000m time trial (coach's orders) on Monday went well - 16:50.

I've enjoyed catching up on my blog reading recently and glad to see everyone working so hard.  Your progress is motivating!!  Happy training, thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. I run at 5:30 in the morning. My kids are dead to the world

    One way to minimize the "hurtin" is to run 10 minutues and walk one minute. You'd be surpised what a difference it makes and it doesn't slow your time down all that much

    I'm running Friday morning (3:30) rather than Saturday because its going to pour Saturday (figures)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. My kids both love triathlons and I'm sure that Jessica is going to have a blast in June and get hooked on triathlon, too.

    So far I haven't trained with my kids, but once it warms up, I plan to train with Maria. We're both looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to ride my bike along while my dad ran when I was a kid. Great times...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, P. We're supposed to see some lousy weather again this weekend so I might run on Friday as well!

    D - you guys rock!

    A - REALLY cool you remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever have kids, I hope they look at me and want to do the sport as well, probably more accurate picture is I hope to hold out long enough before my kids beat me to the finishline

    ReplyDelete